Monday, September 17, 2007

EPCOT Turns 10...

In keeping with the widespread talk about Epcot's 25th anniversary, I'd like to take a look back at the last major celebration the park and the some of the license plates issued during that time. EPCOT Center (that name was so much better than just Epcot) turned 10 in 1992. As I remember it there really wasn't a huge celebration like the ones that were held to commemorate the anniversaries of the WDW Resort as a whole. We were, however, given more license plates to add to the collection. In my case I have one from general merchandise and one cast member only plate:


The plate above was available to the general public, but I did not buy it during the celebration. This is yet another of my ebay finds, this one being a lot more affordable and not nearly as heavily contested as some other plates.


The second plate is the cast member only issue for the celebration. Once again, this is an ebay find. I first ran across this plate on Steve Garner's Site and instantly had to get one for myself. This one actually came to me through my father (I will explain more about this later), who had purchased the plate on ebay. I think this license plate really does a great job of capturing the feel of the original EPCOT Center. It's not a flashy plate, and I really think the beauty of this plate lies in its simplicity of design. I also love the way they incorporated the original EPCOT Center type for all of the text.

There are other anniversary plates out there, and I will update as I am able to acquire them. Till next time, PARTY ON! EPCOT 25 is right around the corner!

No comments: