Sunday, September 9, 2007

Oops!...

When I was a kid collecting baseball cards, one of my favorite things was trying to locate error cards (anyone remember Billy Ripken?). I found out about error license plates very early on in my collecting endeavors. Of all the error plates, and there really aren't that many out there that I've seen, by far the hardest for me to locate were two of the 1970 WDW pre-opening error plates. I have no idea how these mistakes were made, nor how they got into circulation, but I feel very lucky to have been able to acquire both of them.



I managed to find both of these on ebay about 4 years ago, and they were both the subject of pretty heavily contested bidding right up until the last second. I can't attest to the actual rarity of these license plates, but I can say that I really haven't seen very many of them in my search for new plates. There is another error plate that I am still on the hunt for, but I've only seen it once, and that is a mis-cut that has part of two plates on the same plate. Once again, if anyone has seen one or knows where I can get one, please let me know!

I'm now going to shift a little and start listing plates park by park at the rate of probably 2 to 3 a day or every other day, so keep an eye on the blog and let me know if there's anything in particular that you'd like to see!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Color me a little confused, but what makes these "error plates"?

By the way, I love the blog and look forward to more posts and learning more about Disney license plates.

Thanks!

Ryan Crochet said...

They were incorrectly pressed without the white on the letters and border. From what I've been able to find out, this was not correct and these plates were never meant for distribution to the public.