Tuesday, September 4, 2007

In the Beginning...

We'll start the license plate talk where it began, at least for me. Since the majority of my collection is centered around Walt Disney World, we'll start with the start of the Florida property, and so I give you license plate the first.

The story on where this plate came from has been debated, but I'll relate it as accurately as I can. Disney released this plate to announce the opening of Walt Disney World in 1971, and as I understand it they sold this plate at the WDW Preview Center. It subsequently had to be pulled from the shelves because it apparently was a little too close to the actual Florida 1970-71 license plate.

The blue background plate was removed and was replaced with a revised plate with a green background, which managed to remain in production.

I was able to find both of these plates on ebay. It was one heck of a bidding war!

9 comments:

Lou Mongello - WDWRadio.com said...

Great site and love the first post! The elusive blue plate - perfect to kick off the blog!!! Best of luck with it... why do i have the feeling what i see here will end up costing me money? LOL

Ryan Crochet said...

It very well may! I know it's cost me more than I ever thought it would.

Licenseplatemaker said...

Ryan, you I believe you hit it right with these plates I am the grandson of where these plates came from and I have the green and blue one here at home. There is no more in the wharehouse only boxes with the license plate image printed on for shipping. Very rare plates now I should know be working there for 17 years and can't find anymore at all. Thanks for the listing.

Licenseplatemaker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Licenseplatemaker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sweetds said...

licenseplatemaker,
You must live in the So Cal area correct? I had a collectible shop and a gentleman came in with one of the very boxes you are talking about with about 12 blue plates in it. He worked and "said he was" the son or grandson of the original owner of the shop that made the original plates in blue but had to stop making them blue and continue in green. He told me this was the last box with blue plates. Was this you or do you have any info you could share? By the way I did buy and still have 12 of the Blue Plates :)

Ryan Crochet said...

licenseplatemaker and sweetds - Is there any way that either of you could possibly get me a picture of the original boxes these plates came in? I am very interested to see these and I feel those pictures would be a great addition to the blog!

Sweetds said...

Ryan,
The box I have has a image of the plate printed on a piece of paper (that is faded) on the front of the box. I have 4 of these RARE blue plates left if anyone is looking for one, if not I will Ebay them. Please email me if you are interested. don@djsmotorsports.com

Thanks
Don (Sweetds)

Anonymous said...

I have one of the green plates still in plastic. I would like to find one of the blue ones, if anyone still has some you can email me at pinsonlance65@yahoo.com, thanks.